[time-nuts] Problems with Garmin - maybe we should cut them a little slack

Bob Paddock bob.paddock at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 19:51:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:18 AM, William H. Fite <omniryx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe we should cut these cartographers a little slack.  When you consider
> that Garmin will sell you a map update of the entire northern hemisphere for
> eighty bucks, we perhaps shouldn't get too wadded up if they miss the exact
> location of my little bungalow by a couple of hundred feet.

Neither my TomTom nor my Garmin will let me enter my street address *at all*!

TomTom says my, fake number here, house number 1234, must be in the
range of 1,000 to 10,000.
Yes, it is telling it must be in the range, that it is already in, and
we not let me enter it.
Close as I can get is a house on dirt road a half mile up the street.

My Garmin has never heard of the road I live on.  "US 322".
My wife did find a road called "Lakes to the Sea Highway" that the
Garmin thinks I live on.
No one around these parts have every heard of that road.

At work. Garmins take you down a *long* maze of dirt roads into a
swamp.  There is no winter maintenance on that road.
We might find some missing people there in the spring time...  In the
summer time it is not a bad drive, if you like swamps and dirt roads.

A couple of hundred feet could be the difference between life and
death if the fire truck or ambulance ends up spending time at the
wrong address, for even a short period of time.