[time-nuts] Triangle Waves

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Feb 3 03:42:05 UTC 2010

Bob Camp wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2010, at 9:57 PM, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>

>> Joseph M Gwinn wrote:
>>

>> Figure 8 (attached) from Collin's paper indicates that the jitter of a 100Hz wien bridge oscillator is of the order of a few hundred nanosec or so.
>> This was taken using a 3 stage limiter and a 1 sec counter gate time.
>> It may be feasible to do better.
>>
>> It would also appear to be feasible to produce a 10Hz sinewave with ns jitter by low pass filtering a square wave using a combination of active and passive RC filtering.
>>

> That figure pretty clearly shows the issue of getting a good trigger on a low frequency signal.
>
> It's a pretty big guess to figure out what the 100 Hz oscillator is doing. At least to my eye it's pretty far from the 1 ppb / second level.
>
> As long as we're on the Collins paper - has anybody dug up the final paper referenced? I believe it's titled something like "Hard Limiter Experimental Results"?
>
> Bob
>

>> Bruce

The final paper doesn't appear to have been published as far as I can tell.
Oliver Collins appeared to move on to other things (ie moved from John
Hopkins to Notre Dame) at that time.
He appears to still be at the University of Notre Dame.

You could always try contacting him.

http://www.nd.edu/~wand/ <http://www.nd.edu/%7Ewand/>

Bruce