[time-nuts] True to there word.

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 9 03:44:00 UTC 2010

Concerning WWVB from someone that used it way back to check my reference for
a few years before I had GPS.

Short conclusion, with what I was doing and the equipment I had (a WWVB
receiver Tracor 599),
Its Ok to about 1 part in 1e9  for most of the day and with luck and care on
a good day, to a few parts in e10.

It was pretty useless at night, hard to keep track of what cycle it was on,
too much jumping around and time shift drift.
It was completely useless at the diurnal shift, It went to zero for a few
minutes,
lost sync and then came back with a new random sync on the 60 KHz phase and
the 100KHz reference Freq.
During the winter season it made a better weather station than a Freq
standard,
with the day time fluxuations being more a function of the weather between
Calif and Colorado than of my Osc.
It was OK in the summer, but I could still use it to predict bad weather
in-between me and the transmitter.

Don't think you would NEVER ever want to lock on to it for a WWVB-DO, It is
just used to watch for phase drift during the lucky part of the day.

 Oh, I don't miss them good ol days.

ws