[time-nuts] Low phase noise VCO

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 10 00:25:22 UTC 2010

Does it need to be phase coherent with your 10MHz reference, or just frequency locked?

You could use a run of the mill XO with a small heater on it, and drive the heater with a frequency control loop.  Granted, this limits you to loop bandwidths in the sub hertz range, but that might be all you need.

Also,  If you are using it in a software defined radio, you don't necessarily need *control* of the oscillator frequency.  What you might need is *knowledge* so that you can set the correct number into a DDS/NCO.

Knowledge (especially against an external 10 MHz source) is a lot easier to come by than control: all it takes is a counter.

This lets you choose an oscillator with great performance in the short term (high Q resonator) without having to worry about temperature compensating or adjusting (both of which require a lower Q, so you have something to adjust).

APL has built some "ultra stable oscillators" (USOs) using this approach.  And it's also similar to the MCXO from places like Q-Tech.

OTOH, if you need phase coherency or phase continuity, it's a bit trickier.