[time-nuts] Loran C sounds

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Fri Feb 12 12:57:10 UTC 2010

Hi

I know it's a chicken and egg thing, but Loran-C died for navigation a while back. The hardware simply isn't out there anymore. GPS could have died two weeks ago and Loran-C would have not helped the navigation people. They don't have the receivers in place. A backup that nobody is set up to listen to is not a backup.

Keeping Loran-C in the critical care ward forever would have not helped navigation. The only thing that would have helped was a significant upgrade to the system. You have to wonder if anybody would put the gear in place  after an upgrade. Even with cheap electronics, the antenna install on Loran drives up the cost. Production volume on the GPS electronics does will always make a low use system like Loran expensive.

The backup for most (but not all) navigation users is the mark one eyeball. Don't even joke about the modern world navigating with a sextant. I've handed mine to a number of people and gotten a blank look in return ....

The thing that will keep SA turned off is competition. If bad people have three systems to pick between, they will switch to the one that works for them. No advantage to SA in that case. On the other hand, if you turn on SA, lots of voters complain about it. It's a lot harder for them to switch.

Personally, I'll miss Loran-C. It was a very useful thing to have. I have used Loran a lot, but never for navigation. Like it or not, Loran is a nav system not a timing system. Without upgrades, Loran is a second rate nav system.

Are we very dependent on GPS - yup. That didn't change one bit when they turned Loran off. Ignore the navigation stuff completely. The world of timing is now based on GPS. That's been true for years. Trying to get a backup into those networks is a futile effort. A lot of us have tried and failed. The problem has not been ignored, it's been mentioned again and again. There's been an informed decision that GPS is "ok". I disagree with that, but the decision was not made in an information vacuum. Changing that decision and implementing the change would take decades, not weeks or months. You could build a GPS system from scratch in less time than it would take to finally put in backups at all those timing nodes.

We live in a fragile world. There are a lot of systems we depend on. Take a look at how New York City gets it's water supply. That's at least as scary as GPS. The world is full of single point of failure issues ....

Bob