[time-nuts] Vibrations

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 12 23:50:47 UTC 2010

Raj wrote:
> While comparing a Rb FE5680 frequency reference with another RB or GPSDO I find that tapping a Rb unit causes a sudden shift in the scope display meaning the frequency has slightly shifted momentarily and locks back steadily with a phase shift. This does not happen in another Rb FE5680.
>
> Would something be loose I wonder ? Any experiences?

Well, last weekend I just *happend* too look into a pair of FE5680 at a
friends place. The crystal oscillator did not impress me much at all.
The standard crystal was mounted onto the middle board in a stack of
three on the cold compartment. Mounting did not provide any vibration
damping from the case into the crystal, so you will have microphonics
straight into the crystal.

So, I think that your experience should be expected or at least reasonable.

Cheers,
Magnus