[time-nuts] DMTD to MMTD

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 19 02:35:08 UTC 2010

Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> Magnus Danielson wrote:
>> Bruce Griffiths wrote:

With your clarifying comment yes... because it is until now that you
have clarified the merit of the flag system, lowered implementation
complexity vs. lowered signalling capacity.

>> A DMTD systems have a low rate of events per channel, but the nominal
>> distance of events for each channel is fairly long, worst-case burst
>> is when all channels time-stamps. For a 100 Hz beating and 100 MHz
>> clock, the nominal rate of rise/fall events is 200 Hz or 5 ms. Letting
>> the locked value stay put for at least 4 ms. If all channels could be
>> emptied within these 4 ms (just another way of saying that it has
>> enough transport capacity) then a fairly simple schedule system can
>> loop through the channels to find a new sample to transmit.
>>
>> I think the re-occurring flag system should be put to rest, it doesn't
>> contribute and is a red herring, at least for this application.
>>
> Nonsense, it requires simpler logic and for a device with limited
> internal connection/routing capability and a large number of channels
> the data path interconnections may be simpler and easier to route. It
> may also run with a higher clock frequency.
>
> It should even be possible to impement in a relatively small CPLD albeit
> with an external FIFO or equivalent (eg a PPI port on a Blackfin DSP).
> Each additional channels requires one input pin, one output pin, a 2 bit
> synchroniser and a 1 bit wider data path and little else.

But it produces more data, which was what I was commenting on. Indeed it
is very simple to implement, but it's a complexity which is still on the
low-end.

So, finally you made the point of the merit of the approach in such a
way that it became clear to me why you have maintained that standpoint.

Cheers,
Magnus