[time-nuts] Are the days of buying a crystal numbered?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Feb 22 20:30:06 UTC 2010

The trick of including a PLL in an oscillator package has been around for a
while.

The initial ones were programmed at the factory or distributor.  The idea was
to avoid the long wait while they polished the crystal to your specific
frequency.  They stocked them in a handful of frequencies and programmed the
right one when they got your order.

Early ones had a bad reputation due to lots of jitter.  These look good to
me.  (But I don't work in this area so maybe their marketing stuff fooled me.)

This is time-nuts.  What is good for one application will be useless for
another.

Spurs might be a problem, it depends on your application and the exact
numbers of the target frequency and the crystal frequency.