[time-nuts] Double vs single oven TBOLT

Murray Greenman Murray.Greenman at rakon.com
Tue Feb 23 19:40:36 UTC 2010

Warren,
I take the point that you are testing the SAME oscillator as a means of
adding some consistency to the test. However, leaving aside this
consistency and issues relating to the disciplining device (your TBOLT),
I suggest your test of double vs single oven OCXO may be unfair to the
single oven device.

A well designed high performance single-oven OCXO will include such
techniques as ambient compensation and (for example the HP E1938A)
incredibly complex high-gain temperature control. As a result,
performance can challenge the traditional DOCXO, including temperature
slope performance. Your inner-oven only device isn't necessarily a good
representative of a single-oven OCXO.

While we might expect inner-oven-only to operate like a single-oven
10811A, it may be that the DOCXO inner oven doesn't have the power or
thermal gain to handle more than the slight temperature variations (and
temp slope) it would see within the outer oven. Try the test again with
a single-oven variant 10811A, or with a modern high performance SOCXO
such as RAKON STP2602LF.

Regards,
Murray ZL1BPU