[time-nuts] thunderbolt fault

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 27 21:43:38 UTC 2010

Simplified summery of all the past N.S. in this thread

The Tbolt needs a very clean and stable +12 volt supply to get the best
possible performance.
The -12 & +5 supplies are not very critical.
For the +12 volt supply, use one as good as you can,
For the -12V (-8 to -13) & +5V (+-5%) power, Most any general purpose
Regulated supply will work fine.

To help explain in more detail,
Bob added:
>A common mode choke might also be a good idea,
[to use in several places, to clean up and remove high freq and audio noise
caused by switcher etc.]

WarrenS added:
> TRUE,  BUT A Common mode choke filter does not remove 60 or 120 Hz line
> freq ripple on the +12 V,
nor does it help with voltage variations caused by Line voltage
sensitivities.
For that, using a +15 volt supply feeding a well heatsinked, 12V three
terminal regulator is one good way to keep the Line freq ripple and voltage
variations out of the +12V. [The 15 volts has to be "clean" with no High
freq junk, OR some will get thru the post regulator.]

ws

*************

Hi

What I'm talking about here is a common mode choke on the +12 volt supply.
They are pretty common items. Just about every TV or commercial switcher has
one on the power line. Some switchers have them on the outputs as well.

Two independent windings are put on the same core. The DC current / flux
generated in one cancels the magnetizing flux from the other. That keeps the
core from saturating. Thus you can get a lot of inductance in a small
package. With a differential mode choke the thing that makes them *big* is
core saturation. The obvious gotcha is that they will indeed saturate with
very high levels of common mode noise. That's unlikely to be an issue here.

The simple reason it would apply here is your earlier comment that the +12
is the supply to worry about. If the +12 and +5 are "garden variety" that
would suggest a higher grade supply for the +12 source. As long as the
currents are balanced, a common mode choke can be useful.

No choke is going to help with DC regulation at the levels we are talking
about here. What a choke is going to help with is audio and RF crud on the
supply.  Things like an external three terminal regulator will help with
differential noise on the supply. The same is true of bypass caps. What they
will not help with is common mode noise. There are some exotic current
source setups that will help with common mode, but a choke is normally a lot
cheaper (and in most cases better approach).

At some point in the audio range the isolation provided by most regulators
drops off. By the time you get to 100 KHz it's rare to find one that is
doing a lot more than the bypass capacitors alone would do. If you know that
the +12 is sensitive, doing a broad band isolation may indeed help things.
Chokes of some sort are likely to be part of what you grab for the task.
I've seen designs that go quite a way down the differential filter road when
the real issue was common mode.

There's no reason to throw away anything else here. It's just one more thing
to consider adding to the design. Depending on exactly how things are or
aren't set up it may or may not help.

Bob