[time-nuts] Rack-mounting an LPRO? (Heatpipe cooler)

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sun Feb 28 17:59:16 UTC 2010

Joe Gwinn wrote:
> At 2:02 AM +0000 2/28/10, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:02:05 -0600
>> From: Ed Palmer <ed_palmer at sasktel.net>
>> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Rack-mounting an LPRO?
>> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
>>     <time-nuts at febo.com>
>>
>> Sorry, the pictures got lost.  Let's try again.
>>
>> Ed Palmer wrote:
>>>  What else is going to be in the rack?  If your 1U enclosure is packed
>>>  in tight between other devices there might be no cooling at all.  You
>>>  might need a fan to move some air.
>>>
>>>  I don't know if you can find something like this, but I scavenged heat
>>>  sinks from an old Compaq DL760 server that might fit your
>>> situation.  Here's what the heat sink looks like.  The aluminum
>>> plate is about
>>>  1/4" (6.4 mm) thick.  Notice the heat pipes.
>>>

>>>  Here's what it looks like on the LPRO.  You'll have to drill holes in
>>>  the plate to match the LPRO.
>>>

>>>  It's not perfect, but it certainly does the job - particularly if you
>>>  had a fan blowing through the fins.  The total height is about 1.75"
>>>  (45 mm).
>>>
>>>  But remember, the more you cool the LPRO, the more power it will draw
>>>  to keep itself warm so you don't want to overdo the cooling.
>>>
>>  > Ed
>>>
>> [snip]
>> Name: 1.jpg
>> Type: image/jpeg
>> Size: 37469 bytes
>> Desc: not available

>> Name: 2.jpg
>> Type: image/jpeg
>> Size: 33025 bytes
>> Desc: not available
>>

> The aluminum fin and copper pipe assembly integrated with the heatsink
> plate is most likely a heat pipe of some kind, as that's what
> Thermacore makes.  It's a model 2644, from the nameplate, but no joy
> at the Thermacore.com website.
>
> Joe Gwinn

If you want to find that heatsink, you'll probably have better luck with
the Compaq part # which is 190416-002 or just look for a used Xeon
processor that has that heat sink on it.  Note that different servers
used different heat sinks so you have to see a picture.  Right now there
are more than 20 CPUs with this heatsink on auction at the site we all
love to hate.

Ed