[time-nuts] LPRO C137

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 7 03:21:01 UTC 2010

Mark Sims wrote:
> Nope,  tantalums make horrible fuses.   Their standard failure mode is to turn into a room temperature superconductor...

I agree. The can however act as fuse-activators. Also, they make great
hidden flaw generator that keeps the machines comming in for repairs
after guarantee period, so there is some revenue comming from that
department too.

Even low temperature (as in classical superconductor temperatures)
superconductors act like fuses when they are not supposed to. I think
the CERN folks learned that last winter.

The high-temperature superconductor I made was happy with liquid
nitrogen. Those where the days. I have finally forgot the detailed
recepy, but I think I could figure it out. Yttrium, Barium and obscene
amounts of Oxygene as I recall it. I think we used Bariumcarbonite.
Yttriumoxide and Copperoxide, but I don't recall exactly. The only
extreme things around for making it was the oven and the luxury of
having Oxygene tubes standing around. Measuring the proportions took a
good scale but then it was kitchen stuff to grind them together... just
alot of manual work. Then pressure it into a small coin-sized pellet.
Oh, the platinumplates we used for the ovenwork was nice...

Cheers,
Magnus