[time-nuts] Sparkfun

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 7 16:42:53 UTC 2010

On 1/7/10 8:32 AM, "Dan Rae" <danrae at verizon.net> wrote:

> F1ETB wrote:
>> Good Advertisement for a company in Electronics...
>>
>> Happy New Year to everyone,
>> Bernard
>>

> I don't know Bernard.  Having just wasted an hour plus of my life on it
> I don't think I will return there again.
>
> Dan

Hmm. Let's see.. You potentially were saving $100 on something, and you
spent an hour.  That's $100/hr.  And you truly were glued to the keyboard
and screen, doing nothing else? No checking the email? Reading xkcd or
slashdot?  Even if you didn't successfully get an order in, you were
basically making an informed bet that your time was worth less than the
potential savings, since you could have aborted the transaction at any time
after starting, and moved onto some other potentially more remunerative
activity.

Yes, it's frustrating. But a bad deal? I think not.

Now, standing in line for 7 hours at some government office where there is a
cellphone ban, only to be told that you have been standing in the wrong
line:  *That* is a waste of time, unless the value of the service is pretty
darn high (e.g. Keeping you out of prison or something)

Jim