[time-nuts] Sparkfun

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Thu Jan 7 18:14:06 UTC 2010

A couple of thoughts --

- Refusing to let people into the site at all is probably the best approach,
if you find yourself completely swamped with traffic.  A customer   who sees
10-second ping times is likely to be even more annoyed than one who gets a
404.  What they should have done, though, is served those people a static
text page apologizing for the delay and inviting them to try again later...
while at the same time trying to discourage them from hitting F5 over and
over.

- If their hosting provider isn't capable of temporarily boosting their
bandwidth as needed, that's kind of lame.  It should be almost impossible to
"slashdot" any professionally-run e-commerce site these days.  If nothing
else, they could have rented some time on EC2 to test their connectivity
beforehand.

- Somebody may be DoS'ing them.  Perhaps DigiKey or Jameco rented a botnet
for the occasion. :-P

- You can always order Prologix adapters directly from their site at
http://www.prologix.biz , although sans the $100 discount.

-- john, KE5FX