[time-nuts] Digital Clock kit - no Integrated circuits!

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Jan 9 15:30:41 UTC 2010

On 1/9/10 12:09 AM, "Steve Rooke" <sar10538 at gmail.com> wrote:

2010/1/9 Tom Clifton <kc0vsj at yahoo.com>:
> http://transistorclock.com/  has a very interesting (though a bit expensive) kit for sale.  A 10" x 11" circuit board sporting nearly 200 transistors and 600 diodes to drive six seven-segment displays.  Suitable for framing...  As delivered runs on 60hz but there is a note about conversion to 50hz mains.  You can buy a  bare board, just the components or a full kit.
>
> You must see it to believe it!

Bah humbug! Stupid modern day design, it'll never be any good, you
need to use valves to make real gear :-)

Well, they do make dual triodes which are convenient for making those Eccles-Jordan circuits.

I can't help wondering if you go do better than the 4 bit counter:4-10 decoder:10-7 decoder.  Yeah, simple diode matrices in an AOI configuration are easy, but surely a bit of work (as in digging up archaic designs) could find a "lower part count" approach.  Time to use that Karnaugh map.