[time-nuts] Digital Clock kit - no Integrated circuits!

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jan 9 22:27:44 UTC 2010

phk at phk.freebsd.dk said:
> That is what was known as a "synchronous clock".  Tom has one running
> off his atoms on his web-page...

When I was a kid, I took apart my share of clocks and/or clock radios.

They all had the same basic mechanism.  It was a shaded pole motor with a
semi sealed unit that included the first layer of gears.  I never took apart
one of the units.  I assume the rotor had a permanent magnet so it would run
synchronous to the line frequency.

That was 50 years ago.