[time-nuts] Digital Clock kit - no Integrated circuits!

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 09:34:32 UTC 2010

I should have kept that pokie machine I made with three uniselectors,
lamp arrays and a whole bunch of relays way back when I was 17,
perhaps I could have made a fortune with it now.

Cheers,
Steve

2010/1/10 Bob Camp <lists at cq.nu>:
> Hi
>
> Maybe a system using a rotary electrical machine synchronous to the power line driving a system of gears. and pointers on a dial
>
> If the transistor clock is worth $200, I should be able to sell something like that for $400. Throw in the alarm buzzer feature and it could go for $600...
>
> Off to Walmart to stock up and make my fortune ....
>
> Bob
>

> On Jan 9, 2010, at 10:30 AM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:
>

>> On 1/9/10 12:09 AM, "Steve Rooke" <sar10538 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2010/1/9 Tom Clifton <kc0vsj at yahoo.com>:
>>> http://transistorclock.com/  has a very interesting (though a bit expensive) kit for sale.  A 10" x 11" circuit board sporting nearly 200 transistors and 600 diodes to drive six seven-segment displays.  Suitable for framing...  As delivered runs on 60hz but there is a note about conversion to 50hz mains.  You can buy a  bare board, just the components or a full kit.
>>>
>>> You must see it to believe it!
>>
>> Bah humbug! Stupid modern day design, it'll never be any good, you
>> need to use valves to make real gear :-)
>>
>> Well, they do make dual triodes which are convenient for making those Eccles-Jordan circuits.
>>
>> I can't help wondering if you go do better than the 4 bit counter:4-10 decoder:10-7 decoder.  Yeah, simple diode matrices in an AOI configuration are easy, but surely a bit of work (as in digging up archaic designs) could find a "lower part count" approach.  Time to use that Karnaugh map.

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
A man with one clock knows what time it is;
A man with two clocks is never quite sure.