[time-nuts] Non electrical time-nuttery

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 10:19:26 UTC 2010

These are both good books, in fact the best out there, but both have
significant flaws.
For instance they cannot unequivocally accept that high Q is
fundamental to good time keeping
in a clock.
They look at an un-sustained pendulum and say it only oscillates for
10 minutes, so
obviously it cannot measure beyond that time. They fail to realise
that in a clock,
losses are made good so the oscillator has infinite Q. And an
oscillator with infinite Q
can define any length of time.

Any form of friction or loss is bad as it increases the amount of
make-up energy
that must be supplied. That can only increase the possibility of
frequency or phase drift.

There are two main barometric pressure effects. First is buoyancy,
the pendulum losing
apparent weight by floatation in the air. The inertia stays the same,
but the attraction to
the centre of the earth is decreased. That attraction is the
restoring force.
The second effect is that the pendulum bob displaces a mass of air
that sloshes around
the clock case. This air has momentum and adds slightly to the
momentum of the pendulum.

The air will also cause the increase in damping that effects
amplitude, and via circular error,
change the frequency, but this is a lesser effect or non-existent
when electronic feedback
is used control amplitude. Only clock people think they can run an
oscillator without
amplitude control.
In my experimental clock I control amplitude and use circular error
to adjust timing.

You may have gathered that my time nut activities are directed to
pendulum clocks,
in particular an improved pendulum.

Buoyancy can be neutralised in a suitably shaped compound pendulum.
Consider a light
cylinder pivoted in the middle.
No matter how dense the medium it is in it will experience no torque.
Put a weight in one end
and you have a buoyancy compensated pendulum.

Circular error is more difficult, but if you have a knife-edge
suspension with a finite radius,
the circular curve crosses the cycloid (the curve of an isochronic
pendulum) at a low amplitude,
  and like a quartz crystal at its thermal turnover, you have an
amplitude where small changes
in amplitude have no effect on time.

Torsion pendulums are also sensitive to gravity. When you twist the
suspension it gets slightly shorter.

The best mechanical timekeeper is probably the quartz crystal, it has
stable mass, stable elasticity,
stable dimensions and very low damping losses. Put it in a vacuum,
keep its temperature constant,
make good its losses  and you have a good clock.

cheers, Neville Michie