[time-nuts] TBolt settings (was GPSDO Design)

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 15 20:04:37 UTC 2010

> Lots of fun little details to worry about managing....
    ws) TOO True.
A temporary attenuator bypass switch or syncing at a higher freq are two of
many ways to help the initial lock up delay caused
when a high value Dac attenuator is used to lower the effect of EFC noise
and / or to increase the Loop TC without needing large Capacitors.

**
This reminds me of a couple of unconventional Tbolt setting that have been
useful for me.
(Mostly applies ONLY to advanced Tbolt users that like to tweak things)

#1) Along with setting the "initial Dac voltage" to the nominal Dac out,
ALSO
Set the "Min & Max Dac Voltages" to 0.100 mv or so below and above the
nominal Dac output voltage.
(or more than  +- 100mv if your Osc is still drifting lots)
Reason:
Although these setting have NO effect under normal operation, every once in
a while,
I'll set something wrong (like Dac gain to the wrong polarity) and the
control loop will Drive the DAC voltage way off.
What I have seen is IF the EFC voltage is given a large temporary voltage
change,
it can (will) cause a small Freq offset to occur even after the Dac is
returned to its previous voltage.
This offset can then take a long time to recover, similar to cycling the
power.
Clamping the Dac level helps that from happening by limiting the max EFC
voltage change.

#2) Set the Tbolt to the "single Sat mode and the Sat number to "00"  (two
zeros)
(Note, ONLY applies to units with a poor antenna signal)
Reason:
IF you have a poor antenna view caused by things like an indoor antenna or a
partial blocking of signal in one or more directions,
That will cause excess Osc noise as the low level satellites switch in and
out.
In the "single sat / double zero"  mode, the Tbolt will only use the highest
Sat available.
This causes less satellite switching noise, but then there is only one
Satellite at a time to average.
Always that trade off.
What I've seen is for poor antenna signals the single sat mode can help Osc
and phase noise about two to one,
For the average and good antenna signals the single sat mode hurts by two to
one or more.

ws

From: "Bob Camp" <lists at cq.nu>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] GPSDO Design