[time-nuts] Sidereal time

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jan 15 21:06:46 UTC 2010

You have missed the point entirely.

Autoguiders etc are only useful for tracking an object once it has been
acquired.

Pointing is the ability to point the telescope at a desired object or
location starting from home or another position in the sky.

With large telescopes (or with inexperienced operators) one doesnt have
the time for manual correction.
It is desirable to place the object of interest close to the centre of
the field.
Once it is acquired then use of autoguiders and periodic error
correction (an open loop process) can be used to track the object.

When cloud cover permits, a wide angle (8 to 15 degree FOV) camera fixed
to the telescope can be used to implement a high accuracy (1 arc sec or
so) "encoder".

Bruce