[time-nuts] 4KV Power Supply Recommendations

brucekareen at aol.com brucekareen at aol.com
Sun Jan 17 22:54:23 UTC 2010

Slightly off topic -- but perhaps suggestive:  A couple of years ago I
needed to re-train some nocturnal raccoons who were toppling our garbage  can.
I purchased an inexpensive and very compact fence charger at a farm
supply.  Opening the lightweight unit out of curiosity, I found that it  contained
a transformerless, voltage-multiplier that plugged into a 115 V  outlet and
generated about 500 VRMS.  All that was inside was a small  PC-board with
diodes, disc capacitors, and one current-limiting resister in the  feed to
the HV terminal.  The ground return was through the AC line  neutral.

Connecting the lone HV terminal to a small piece of rabbit wire placed on
the lid of the plastic garbage can did the trick.  I had to electrify the
can once more -- about 6 months later -- but have not had to do so in the two
 years since.

It might be possible to construct a voltage multiplier, along the same
lines, that would reach 4KV.  The capacitors would have to be larger to
deliver 5 MA.

Bruce Hunter, KG6OJI