[time-nuts] 4 KV Power Supply Recommendations

john.foege at gmail.com john.foege at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 01:51:44 UTC 2010

You can get brand new MOTs (microwave oven transformer) from eBay for quite cheap, or simply scavenge them from old microwaves.

As has been stated, they have magnetic shunts between the windings on either side. These shunts make the transofmer non-ideal and horribly mess with the tranaformers regulation as far as I can remember.

These shunts can be pounded out; being careful of course not to damage the windings which are made generally from aluminum wire and then enameled.

With an American type MOT, you'll get about 2.2kV-2.4kV on the seconday side. As also was stated in previous emails, the insulation the secondary winding is too thin and cheap, which is why one side is tied to the transformer core. I've heard of people lifting this connection, but it's certainly not a good idea.

One thing to do is mount the MOT on a piece of wood that insulates it from the case you are using.

Another very handy trick to make the MOT much less lethal for use, would be to wire a standard incandescent bulb in series with the primary. this limits the seconday side current quite nicely.

John Foege
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T