[time-nuts] 4 KV Power Supply Recommendations

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Mon Jan 18 02:19:35 UTC 2010

Keep in mind that the typical microwave oven power supply will be able to
deliver about 100 times more power than sufficient to blow the ion pump to
bits, in addition to the operator if he is not careful.

I would advise against even trying, even though operating the transformer
with a 40W incandescent bulb in series with the primary would probably get
you close, as long as you can still find an incandescent bulb, that is...

On a side note, I recently had a Panasonic microwave oven which had a
switching supply (it was very light, but still rated 1200W). That would
probably open up all sorts of hacking possibilities. The oven was much less
than $100 at SAM's club. Unfortunately, the oven went with the rest of my
stuff in the divorce settlement before I had a chance to open it...

Didier