[time-nuts] 4 KV Power Supply Recommendations

Kasper Pedersen time-nuts at kasperkp.dk
Mon Jan 18 23:18:25 UTC 2010

On 01/18/2010 11:10 PM, Didier Juges wrote:
 > I could not resist, so I checked my relatively expensive Sears/Kenmore
 > microwave oven.
 > The results are there:
 > http://www.ko4bb.com/Test_Equipment/Microwave_oven_leakage/
 >
 > In one word, dismal. Almost 1W peak power leakage at 1 foot, and almost
 > 100MHz occupied bandwidth.

1W into the analyzer with a sub-optimal antenna. If we are really
optimistic and assume 3dBi, the effective area is (12cm)2/(4*pi)*2(for
3dBi) = 23cm2, or 12 cm2 for 0dBi.
1W becomes 43..83mW/cm2.
Ow.

The ballpark figure I learned when I worked with ISM was 50mW/cm2 - the
point at which I have already left, and the point where the heating of
the lens in your eye becomes a problem. Of the permanent kind.

/Kasper Pedersen