[time-nuts] Test Equipment

John Foege john.foege at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 18:35:22 UTC 2010

I realize that this e-mail is somewhat off topic, however, I also
believe that I will get some of the best answers from the members of
this list:

I have recently started to build an electronics lab, and am currently
trying to acquire test and general equipment for my little basement
workshop of horrors. So far, being on a limited budget, I have
acquired a Tek 2465A in good working order, a Fluke 1953A counter, and
my little gem (ok not quite so little) HP5345A with the 4-ghz freq
converter plugin w/ opt 11 & 12.

I'd just like to ask everyone what they would be, if they were in my
shoes, attempting to acquire. Unforunately, however, I am just out of
engineering school and not working with much of a budget here. I'd
kill to have all the fancy gear some of you nuts have.

I'd really love a DSO instead of the Tek 2465A I have. I'd kill for a
good spectrum analyzer or VNA etc.

Any suggestions on what I should acquire and/or suggestions for
economical equipment that I should make that is a must have? I am a
good DIYer when it comes to building equipment, so often I attempt to
build that which I cannot afford.

I appreciate everyone's' opinions in advance. Thank you.

Sincerely,

John Foege
KB1FSX
starving-engineer!