[time-nuts] Test equipment / work benches...

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 10:18:07 UTC 2010

My lab/workshop is my dining room (it's great being single) and I just
went out and bought a very sturdy workbench that was on our auction
site from a person just across town. The top was pretty poor and
grubby so I just skimmed it with a sheet of plywood and it came up
nice. I had to assemble the trestles and the top in the room as it was
in pieces as there was no way I could get it through the door, and two
of us could hardly lift the heavy top. I recon it could easily support
a small car or a couple of truck engines so all the heavy gear I have
on it now is well within it's limits. I certainly wanted something
strong and deep enough to hold the sort of gear we use plus have room
at the front and back of the instruments and found most of the modern
workbences were too weak and far too narrow for me.

My advice is to make sure you have ample depth in any work bench so
you can have power distribution and cables at the back plus space at
the front to hold devices under test. Also make sure it is strong
enough so you can pile it full of gear and be able to stand on it so
you can lean over the back to plug things in and out. I discovered
this at my last place of work where we had some benches that started
to sag badly so one of my collages designed the bench from hell. It
was the sort of over engineered construction that come an earthquake
or bomb you rush over to it and hid underneath as that one could
probably hold up a truck :-)

The bad thing is that they want to replace the carpet in my house so
heaven knows how I'm going to shift this thing :-)

Steve
--
Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
A man with one clock knows what time it is;