[time-nuts] Conducting Bench Top Material

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jan 25 18:54:25 UTC 2010

One generally looks for static-dissipative surfaces, rather than conductive surfaces. 1 Megohm/square, for instance.  The idea is to keep everything isopotential as charge drops onto things, not to rigorously establish a common voltage.

> I notice that many folks who have contributed on this thread use
> anti-static benchtops, but I have never found it necessary (and I try
> to keep the RH in my house under 45% -- it is generally 20% or less
> in the winter).  I've been fooling with static-sensitive parts for 35
> years and haven't lost one to static yet

You haven't lost one *that you know of*. It also depends on the kinds of parts you're working with. There are some that are quite sensitive AND which don't fail outright, but just degrade performance a bit when they take a hit. It also depends on the energy behind the hit, of course.  An example might be the MiniCircuits ERA-4 or ERA-5 (just because I happen to have the data sheet handy).  Take a look at the later pages in the report, and you can see where the gain changes slightly as a result of 100V ESD hits (see page 6, where you can see gain dropping about 1.5 dB over 8 pulses, with about 0.1dB per hit.)

As they say at the end of the report:
The new amplifier ERA-4XSM shows gradual degradation in the gain and the
device voltage. That fact is not so bad. Even with the multiple stress a customer
would rather have gradual changes then catastrophic failure. The amplifier
withstands a single 100V ESD pulse, or 3 pulses at 50V.

http://www.minicircuits.com/pages/pdfs/an60028.pdf

----

When we (JPL) do site visits to vendors, lackadaisical approaches to ESD handling are one of the common problems. For us, who are building just one or two of something that's going to be going somewhere where repair isn't an option, latent damage and gradual degradation are a big deal.

It's really a "habit" thing that everyone has to get used to. That's why even nuts and bolts come in ESD packaging (even though they're obviously ESD immune): it gets people in the mindset of "come in the area, put on the wrist strap".  Back in the 70s, when ESD processes started to be used, they would have multiple categories of parts, some which needed ESD precautions (CMOS parts, DRAMs,etc.) and some which didn't (resistors, capacitors).  It was found that workers would be working with something in one category, and the habits would carry over to the others, so the industry, in general, went to the "everything is ESD sensitive" approach.

The *worst* offenders for ESD are the engineers (like those of us reading the list!), because they actually know what parts are sensitive and which aren't, and tend to take shortcuts with the non-sensitive parts.  Which works, sort of, until they guess wrong, and cook something.  "Hey, why is the NF on this LNA 0.2 dB higher than it was yesterday?"

jim