[time-nuts] Conducting Bench Top Material

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Jan 26 00:33:38 UTC 2010

Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:
> [...]

The first greeting a new collueage gets when comming first day to work
is "What shoesize are you?". We order ESD shoes for more or less
everyone. Our US sales-people is known to ask if it is real Birkenstock
shoes. :)

>> In those days, rubber was made conductive with carbon black. It
>> was almost as effective as a pencil at marking things. If the
>> anti-static material is not black, maybe it won't be a marking
>> hazard.
>
> These days, the black bins are dissipative and not marking.  The black foam is history (we all have ICs with corroded leads in the garage where the black foam turns to goo). Here at JPl, we don't use the pink bags/peanuts/stuff at all, because apparently, the coating can flake or rub off.  We use plastic that has a very thin metalized layer, and I think that's pretty much industry standard now.

This is why you guys don't have a pink-day at the office! :)

You got to have a silly pink-day every once in a while just for the fun
of it. I'll see if not the HW department can adapt it, as they have
tried non-casual-friday (usual dress code is... um... casual).

>> A megohm and 400 pF has a time constant of 400 microseconds, but
>> you do get the kilovolt spike. The wrist strap looks really good
>> as long as your motion is the only source of static electricity.
>> It keeps your body from ever reaching kilovolt potentials.
>>

> And the megohm is important to keep you from inadvertently dying when you happen to accidentally contact the AC line.

There is a reason for EKG equipment being measured for isolation
properties. The medical staff wants to select the time and dosage of
larger currents through the heart, and preference is towards patients
that badly need it.

Cheers,
Magnus