[time-nuts] Test equipment / work benches...

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 03:53:39 UTC 2010

Solid concrete floors here. I wouldn't have trusted my bench and all
the kit I have on it (and under it) on floorboards alone, I'd probably
have laid down a thick piece of ply to cover the area under the bench
and therefore spread the weight or at least put some pieces under each
4x2" leg.

Steve

2010/1/26 Mike Naruta AA8K <aa8k at comcast.net>:

> If the top is a two-person lift, and you are
> putting all your heavy equipment on it, and
> you are not on a concrete floor, you may want
> to align the bench legs with the floor joists
> or use plates to distribute the weight.  :)
>

> My shop bench is made from wood from our family's
> barn.  The legs are 6 by 6 inch (15 cm) and
> the long dimension framing is 2 by 12 inch
> (5 by 30 cm) and leg brace/foot rests are 2 by 2
> inch (5 cm).  I had to use threaded rod because
> the local hardware stores did not have bolts long
> enough.  This wood was old when we purchased
> the farm in 1953.  I built it as a tribute to
> our old barn.  I mounted my father-in-law's big
> metal vise/vice on it.  It is 11.5 inches (30 cm)
> high and 29 inches (74 cm) from front to back
> when closed.  The screw handle is 7/8 inch (2 cm)
> in diameter and 16.75 inches (43 cm) long.  I
> was barely able to lift the vise to the bench
> top to mount it.
>
> I also have my father's half-century old Sears
> vise mounted on the bench.  It is 17 inches (43 cm)
> long (closed) and 11.5 inches (29 cm) high.  The
> vise is in remarkably good condition, especially
> considering all the projects we used it for.
>

> The attached photo shows the bench with the
> appropriate number of projects on it.
>

> Mike - AA8K
>

> Steve Rooke wrote:
>>
>> My lab/workshop is my dining room (it's great being single) and I just
>> went out and bought a very sturdy workbench that was on our auction

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
A man with one clock knows what time it is;
A man with two clocks is never quite sure.