[time-nuts] DMTD Question1

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jan 26 22:50:31 UTC 2010

Knowing the magnitude of various effects allows one to make rational
choices based on one's actual or perceived requirements.
Just ignoring effects which may or may not be significant and hoping
that they wont be significant isn't particularly rational.
The aim was a system noise floor of around 1E-13/SQRT(Tau) (for Tau up
to a few hundred seconds at least) or better to ensure that this is well
below the expected stability of sources being compared.
There are also other uses for DMTD systems such as measuring phase
instability of cables etc, that some may wish to pursue.

NIST found a mixer phase shift TC of up to 75ps/K for uncompensated
mixers with 5MHz inputs.

If you carefully analyse your favourite frequency comparison system you
may just discover why this particular technique was quietly dropped as
not being particularly useful for Tau much greater than the PLL inverse
loop bandwidth.
The real problem is that there is no simple way to actually determine
the actual Tau range for which such a system is useful other than
comparing the results obtained with those from a more conventional system.

Bruce