[time-nuts] XL-AK Receiver: Worth it?

Bruce Lane kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
Fri Jan 29 19:46:14 UTC 2010

Fellow time-tickers,

	I'm considering the purchase of a surplus TrueTime XL-AK series GPS
clock. As near as I can tell, it does not have the frequency output
option for 10MHz.

	My question: How easy (or not) is it to add this option? Are the
necessary components already present in the unit, just needing some
creative jumpering to bring to life, or was there a separate module?

	Also, as a point of curiosity: What's the GPS receiver in the XL-AK, and
what format is it putting out to the receiver's microprocessor? (NMEA?
Binary? Something bizarre?)

	Thanks much.

Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies (http://www.bluefeathertech.com)
Assoc. member, AZA & AAZK for many moons.
"Salvadore Dali's computer has surreal ports..."