[time-nuts] XL-AK Receiver: Worth it?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jan 29 22:19:44 UTC 2010

Steve Wiseman wrote:
> On 29/01/2010, Bruce Griffiths<bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>  wrote:
>

>> This feature is only available if the output configuration board is
>> installed ( see section V of the manual).
>> The basic unit is unlikely to have this board installed.
>>
> OK, I've whipped the lid off mine...
> The output board doesn't have anything with much smarts on it- there's
> a PLD (22V10) and a bunch of TTL buffers and opamps. Therefore, I
> suggest that 10MHz appears on the 64-pin DIN41612 connector, whether
> the spiffy output board is fitted or not.
> Obviously a gamble, but I'd guess the 10MHz is there for taking.
>
> Steve

The 10MHz sinewave output is merely an AC coupled, low pass filtered
ACMOS output.

The vanilla version appears to discipline a TCXO or similar, judging
from the specs, the short term stability isnt stellar, however one could
always use an external cleanup PLL incorporating an OCXO.

There is an option to discipline an external OCXO however this requires
a DAC board.

Bruce