[time-nuts] Conducting Bench Top Material

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Sat Jan 30 03:58:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 05:15:51PM -0800, J. Forster wrote:
> To my aging eyes, the flashlight looks distinctly blue-white. I don't know
> how these particular LEDs are built, but the unit is less than a year old.

	My understanding is that a lot of high brightness "white" LEDs
are internally a UV emitting LED junction illuminating a phosphor.  The
light you see comes mostly from the phosphor.

	Lighting type phosphors have been around forever in fluorescent
bulbs... and are fairly continuous spectra mostly...

	I don't think there is any way of getting broadband white light
out of a LED junction, though of course hybrids of multiple different
color LEDs can be used (and are in the display business).

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in