[time-nuts] PICTIC II Programmed 16f688 chips

EB4APL eb4apl at cembreros.jazztel.es
Sat Jul 10 23:33:40 UTC 2010

Hello,

I has been reviewing some info about PIC programmers, since I agree with
other list members that a cheap PIC programmer is more convenient than
sending PICs forth and back, taking in account that probably new
versions of the firmware will appear soon.
My main programmer is a China made PICkit II clone, using the publicly
available schematics from Microchip and being supported by firmware
updates also from Microchip. It can be used directly from the MPLAB
environment (and also can be used as an on circuit debugger) or with a
stand alone Windows program.

The current price of such programmers is $ 26.99 international shipping
included. I would recommend one of this programmers if you plan to do
any future project with PICs, because the upgrades and the integration
with MPLAB

I also have a homemade programmer, it is called a TE-20 and is based in
the JDM programmer <http://www.jdm.homepage.dk/newpics.htm>. These
programmers don't need any external power supply and use the +/-
voltages of the serial ports to generate the programming voltages for
the PICs in a quite ingenious way. They are extremely cheap, can be
constructed in a perforated board or even can be temporarily assembled
in a solderless proto board if you don't plan to need it anymore. I am
going to publish the schematic as soon I adapt the pinout for the
16F688, because these programmers can be used for a number of PICs with
different sizes. Googling for these programmers gives a lot of
references (even simpler ones like Simple-JDM-PIC-Programmer/
<http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-JDM-PIC-Programmer/>). There are
several programming softwares for this hardware, I use IC prog
<http://www.ic-prog.com/> and I'm very satisfied with the results, but I
never had programmed a 16F688 with it.
There are a couple of concerns: This programmer relies in serial ports
with +/- 8.6 volts at least, so a number of laptops can't drive it.
There is another subtle thing named Vpp before Vdd that affects some PIC
configurations, namely the use of internal RC oscillator in combination
with the reset pin. When this happens the PIC can start executing its
code when powered up, instead of letting the programmer to perform its
task. Since I'm not sure if this is a problem with the TE-20 and the
configuration necessary for this project, I would like to test it myself
before recommending this solution, but I currently do not have any
16F688 on hand and the stores near my home doesn't have any either. So I
have to order one or let any other member with the chip and the same
programmer to do the test.

Anyway I will program the chips for anyone which need it. There are two
the return postage or ask me to buy the PICs and I´ll send them
programmed. In that case I would like to make a single order for the
quantity needed and I still don't realize how to get the money, maybe
Paypal. I will charge just for the parts and shipping costs.

Since I'm leaving for vacation next Wednesday (Jul 14) and I´m not be
back until mid August, anybody interested can send their requests to the
list or directly. I will publish a list with the orders just before
ordering the chips.

Regards,
Ignacio, EB4APL