[time-nuts] rapid startup GPSDO

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 15:54:42 UTC 2010

For fast TBOLT start up
If you are not moving it, SAVE the location.

Mine finds the first Sat in about 30 seconds and phase locks in under 2
minutes after a brief power down.
(If the Osc oven is already warmed up)

If you are moving it a lot, or if it is the first time, so it does not know
where it is
A few changes to the default settings can help a lot.
I changed the AMU to 2 so that it picks up all the weak sats if the antenna
is not so good
AND CHANGED THE default survey size to 50 or less.
Does not give the best results, but it gets something working fast.

What may also help is if there is a way to save the current Almanac
I do not know how to do that. It takes a good 15 min to get a new one after
power up.

ws

[time-nuts] rapid startup GPSDO
David C. Partridge david.partridge at perdrix.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 14:21:44 UTC 2010

After a forced cold start in an unknown location, the TB will still be
searching for satellites after five minutes.

If you move it and don't clear the incorrect location, I don't know how long
it will take to realise it is wrong (if it ever does).

Dave