[time-nuts] Function of cap to GND in isolation transformer circuit

Dave Brown tractorb at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jul 21 13:05:40 UTC 2010

Its to prevent 'earth loops'  and avoid issues with DC and low
frequency AC on the coax screen - usually its found only on tx or rx
end- not both- depends on the installation which practice is followed.
Telcos tend to solid ground at the send end and cap ground at the rx
end.  And yes- it can make things worse-again depending on the
installation. If you have the option of hard ground or cap ground at
both ends you can select which combination gives the best result.
This is usually only an issue with long runs of coax cable.
DaveB, NZ