[time-nuts] A different timenuts interest

Donald Henderickx wa9ylp at centurytel.net
Thu Jul 22 02:02:54 UTC 2010

On 7/21/2010 7:13 PM, Morris Odell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been asked to help with the construction of a Foucault pendulum. This
> is a long pendulum which oscillates in a slow stately fashion in a fixed
> plane which appears to move as the earth rotates. In reality the surrounding
> environment is really moving relative to the plane of oscillation.
>
> The pendulum requires a sustaining system to compensate for the inevitable
> energy loss with each swing. The system is located in the building and
> therefore rotates relative to the pendulum. It needs to provide an impulse
> which does not affect the plane of oscillation of the pendulum. I was
> thinking of an electromagnet located below the centre of the swing which
> would be pulsed appropriately as the bob passes over it.
>
> Has anyone here had any experience with such a system of have any
> suggestions regarding the sustaining system? This is an interesting and
> challenging project.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Morris

Hello Morris:
You might contact Fermi National Accelerator Lab in Batavia Illinois at
www.fnal.gov .
There Foucault pendulum is sixteen stories from the suspension point to
the atrium floor,it's impulse device is buried in the sand under the bob.
They may even have a picture of it on there web site.
Try the public information office they should be able to get in contact
with the people that maintain it.
If you are unable to get any help let me know as I might have some
contacts there that would help.
Good Luck
Don Henderickx