[time-nuts] Basic question regarding comparing two frequencies

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jul 25 03:19:26 UTC 2010

> Thanks for the insight re the GPIB interface.  I'm curious if any has any
> insight as to a suitable usb or pci to GPIB interface module or card ?  It
> sounds as though other surplus test gear is likely to have a GPIB interface.

I've been happy with the Prologix unit.  I got mine through Sparkfun:
  http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=549

It's USB to GPIB, but it uses one of the popular USB-serial chips so drivers
should be easy to find.  (if you don't have them already)  That lets you talk
to it, but you may have to write some low level code to do what you want.
I'm happy with that stuff.  Some people don't like it.

> Thanks, I'm glad to hear I am on the right track.   At some point it would
> be  nice to obtain a counter that can measure the drift of the time base in
> the  5328A.  The 5328A has a GPIB interface but as the display only varies
> by a few  counts I'm not inclined to track down a GPIB adapter just to plot
> this.)    Hopefully a newer counter would have a more generic interface.

I'm not familiar with the 5328A.

On the 5334B, you can get a two more digits via GPIB.  For example:
  F +2.9999997105E+06
(The display only has 9 digits.)