[time-nuts] Basic question regarding comparing two frequencies

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 13:34:39 UTC 2010

That seems to indicate these devices are running a version of embedded
Windows for them to get infected by a virus and I wonder why they need
such a sledgehammer internally.

Steve
PS. sorry for top-posting but that's the only way I can reply at the
moment (basic HTML Gmail).

On 26/07/2010, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hal Murray wrote:
>> jimlux at earthlink.net said:
>>> But over the next few years, I suspect you'll see more and more of it
>>> coming onto the surplus market.  My fond hope is that my daughter will
>>> be
>>> able to capitalize on it.
>>
>> A friend had a fancy scope with an Etherenet.  It got infected with the
>> virus-de-jour.
>>

> Yes.. I was at a meeting at work last week where we discussed this.
> Seems it works like this: The equipment mfrs have about 6 month
> turnaround on patch cycles, so your instrument is almost always
> vulnerable.  But, if you don't connect it to anything or use it as a
> browser, you're ok.  Then, someone plugs a USB stick in (that is
> infected from some other PC).. and that infects the instrument.  SInce
> the instrument isn't running anti virus (they're of limited value
> anyway, and usually have a performance impact that's unacceptable in
> embedded systems), the virus lurks there.  Then, when you DO connect to
> the network, it leaps into action, or, it infects the USB stick of the
> next poor schlub to use it.

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
- Einstein