[time-nuts] Basic question regarding comparing two frequencies

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Mon Jul 26 22:12:32 UTC 2010

It's a remarkable, and largely unappreciated, instrument. I passed them up
for years, thinking they were only useful for analog multiplex telephony.
It was not until I bought one, almost by accident, at the tail end of a
flea and started to play with it, did its utility became apparent. Thje
ability to lock onto a received carrier and count it is a delight, IMO.

A note on the data you get out. If you digitally high pass filter it, you
should be able to get a measure of the path stability. I've done this with
both an HP 117A on WWVB and WWV but not yet with the 3586C. The day-to-day
variation is dramatic.

Best,

-John