[time-nuts] Basic question regarding comparing two frequencies

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 22:48:56 UTC 2010

The reason to divide was that the signal from the phase detector
"folds back" as the phase shift gets to 360*.
At 10Mhz the fold back occurs every 100ns. At 100kHz it is every
10usec.  As the fold back (359.9 - 0.1degree) zone may have false
triggering or other noise
it made sense for it to be made a less frequent event. Also I did not
have faith in the CMOS output giving a true PWM average when clocking
so fast. Chip capacitance produces a more significant amount of
current at the higher clock rate.
It may well work OK at the 10MHz rate. I also needed to divide to
increase the full scale time to account for large time jitter of
mechanical clocks so I set it up to divide at any of a wide range of
frequencies.
Cheers, Neville Michie