[time-nuts] A philosophy of science view on the tight pll discussion

Mark Kahrs mark.kahrs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 15:48:13 UTC 2010

I for one, have grown tired of the ad-hominem anti-intellectual attacks.
This is supposed to be about science and engineering, not words.  Therefore,
I'd like to see analysis.  As Lord Kelvin put it:

"In physical science the first essential step in the direction of learning
any subject is to find principles of numerical reckoning and practicable
methods for measuring some quality connected with it. I often say that when
you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you
know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot
express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory
kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your
thoughts advanced to the state of Science, whatever the matter may be."

What I want to see in the future are equations.  Please use LaTex notation
so we all can see what's going on.  Until that happens, it's all just fuzzy
semantics --- neither science nor engineering.  If you make a claim, support
it with equations.  If you can't, then don't make the claim.  It's that
simple.