[time-nuts] Comments on Tbolt deal?

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Jun 5 21:06:33 UTC 2010

Hi

The TBolt needs a supply that will put out about an amp at +12, just over 1/4 amp at +5 and a few ma at -12. Regulating the +5 down from the +12 isn't to hard with a 7805 and a series resistor. That gets you to +/-12 for the supply. Switchers do indeed work, linear supplies are often a bit less noisy.

The antenna hooks up with TV coax and F connectors at the TBolt end. Most antennas have something other than an F connector on them. If you "roll your own" you likely will need an F to what ever adapter. Timing oriented antennas run around $30 or so. Just about any GPS antenna will work.

I have dealt with pretty much all of the Chinese TBolt vendors. They all have delivered the product exactly as described. That includes a gentleman selling the FW V 3.0 version for $65 plus $25 shipping.

The only TBolts to avoid are the ones made before 2001. As far as I can see those are no longer floating around China. The FW 3.0 stuff seems to be from late 2004 and 2005. The "not FW 3.0" rarely is from before 2003.

Bob