[time-nuts] 5061A Manual Part Number and Problem Child

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sat Jun 12 11:54:49 UTC 2010

John,

I have a copy of the 5061A manual designed for Serial Prefix 2506A, part
number 05061-9068 printed April 1985.  My problem child is serial number
2428A.  Fortunately, the manual includes 56 pages of manual change
information, all the way back to serial prefix 1740A, and appears to cover
it just fine.  This manual suggests that for serial prefixes below 1740A,
manual part number 05061-9052 should be used.  I also have that manual.

I also have a 5061B manual, part number 05061-9078 printed October 1986.

I did not know if there was a later manual.  If there is a later manual for
the 5061B, I would like to know that as well.

I can actually see a very low amplitude signal on A7P1 on another 5061A that
I have set up right next to the problem child and what I see on the problem
child is much lower in amplitude.  I am aware of what you said about the A14
board and it is my next thing to swap.  However, I can't think of a way the
Beam I would be present and 2nd Harmonic would be absent that would not be
corrected by a new A7 assembly, particularly since the 2nd Harmonic meter
indication varies with movement of the Loop Gain (I see this with my other
units), unless the cable to the A14 assembly is shorted (must disconnect
A7P3 and see what I see on A7J2) or the A14 2nd Harmonic amplifier simply
just can't find the signal (must try swapping the A14 assembly).

It's as if the tube is not getting modulated.  I was wondering if there
might be an issue with the tube but I do not know enough about the inner
workings of the tube yet.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe