[time-nuts] Odd FTS 4060 Behavior

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sun Jun 13 22:40:31 UTC 2010

Interesting.  Solder and gold don't like each other very much, and even the
more respected manufacturers don't always seem to appreciate that, when they
rely on a soldered connection to provide some mechanical stability.  This
isn't the first time I've heard of FTS oscillators behaving oddly, so it'd
be great if they could be fixed this easily.  Pinning down an exact cause
might be helpful to others if the problem shows up again.

One other thing that can go wrong with OCXO testing happened to me last
night.  A high-grade unit that I'd borrowed was exhibiting some severe
frequency jumps of around 6-8 Hz, visible on a couple of different counters.
I decided to watch it for awhile in case it was still settling down from
being moved, and work on some other things.  Before long, I started seeing
flaky behavior from other equipment such as a signal generator and spectrum
analyzer, and the lock indicator on a 100 MHz PLL being burned in on the
rack also started flashing intermittently.

Turned out that I had accidentally left my 10 MHz distribution amp hooked up
to a 'public' Thunderbolt that's used for testing remote access via Lady
Heather and not normally connected to anything.  Someone had logged in,
probably thinking they were talking to their own local unit, and set the
Thunderbolt's position manually to a rooftop near Sydney, in New South
Wales...

-- john, KE5FX