[time-nuts] Thunderbolt test results

John Green wpxs472 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 13:31:45 UTC 2010

The default parameters are a compromise. The thunderbolt was originally used
to provide time and frequency, though I understand not always frequency, for
cellsites. Though heated and air conditioned, I suspect they had pretty good
temperature swings. Also, the sky view was not always optimum. It was
supposed to lock on to as few as 1 SV, come up from dead cold and work.
Obviously, those settings can be improved upon when we stabilize the
temperature, voltages, use good antennas. I use one as a reference for an
amateur repeater and it works well for that. When I was trying to put the
repeater on the air, I changed the settings from default to what I had found
in the lab that worked better and the Tbolt went into holdover and wouldn't
come out. I changed back to the default settings and it worked fine. I am
not sure why they didn't work but I didn't have a lot of time to
investigate. Months later, it is still working great. There are people here
that have spent many hours optimizing the Tbolt. Search back and you will
find lots about how to get the most out of it.