[time-nuts] Galvanic decoupling of GPS antenna

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 18 12:17:38 UTC 2010

Robert Benward wrote:
> Yuri,
> Another suggestion would be to look for a low power GPS; I can't image
> with all the GPSs out there in all those cell phones, that they all take
> 40mA or more.  If you find one that does have low power, then locate it
> at the antenna and then you won't need an active antenna.  (canabalize a
> cell phone?)

Most cell phones do not have a full GPS receiver in them. They use
various forms of assisted GPS to reduce the nanojoules/fix.

But what about putting a small solar panel next to your antenna. If the
antenna can see GPS, the panel can see the sun (for the most part).  A
cheap panel puts out somewhere around 50W/square meter, so that will
give you a starting point. 100mW = 1/500th m^2 = 20 cm^2