[time-nuts] Rack-mounting an LPRO?

Paul Boven p.boven at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 1 23:09:46 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you all very much for the many reactions to my
query. I'd like to clarify a few things (my original posting was a bit
too terse, I guess).

The LPRO-101 is 1.5" high, 3.7" deep and 5.0" wide. Its height makes it
ideal to fit inside a 1U rack unit while laying on its baseplate, and
the manual states it was designed to fit in 1U or 3U VME units. And I
happen to have a 1U 19" rack enclosure that fits it very nicely, snug
between the top and bottom cover. "LPRO" stands for 'Low Profile
Rubidium Oscillator".

But from many of your reactions, it seems that this proposed setup would
lead to problems getting rid of the heat generated by the LPRO, and the
enclosure's baseplate would not be sufficient for cooling. I
particularly liked the heat-pipe solution that was suggested, but there
would be not enough height in the 1U enclosure for such a system. There
seem to exist heatpipes of only 500um thickness these days, but I have
no idea where one could find one of those.

Scott Mace replied that he has a 1U high Datum Rubidium unit, probably
something like their Datum-8040 product, and it works fine for him.

As I already have the LPRO, rack-unit and PSU, I will attempt to get
this combination to work, but will clearly have to put much more effort
into (passively) cooling things than anticipated. Thanks again for the
input, and I'll let you know how things turn out in a few weeks.

Regards, Paul Boven - 73 de PEaNUT