[time-nuts] Realistic Tbolt phase noise

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 10:00:22 UTC 2010

You'll need somwhat more than +14V for a generic 7812 to regulate
correctly.

Also, remember the local (to the regulators) decoupling caps, or some of
them make quite good HF oscilators!

See the data sheets for the particular regulators used for exact
details.

Dave B.

The supply provided by TAPR is a pretty basic unit. It would not
surprise me if some were better than others. They also may work better
on US mains voltage than they do on international voltages. I would rig
up another supply and see what happens. That would at least rule out the
supply as an issue.

In a previous post the idea of putting a 7805 and 7812 regulator on the
TBolt came up. If you have +14 available that seems like the best thing
to try.

Bob