[time-nuts] nubie querie

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Mar 11 08:15:39 UTC 2010

Concerning my query about what's good enough to count as a contact...

> We've done Moonbounce with 3mW (Hobart - Dwingeloo) in JT65 - but a
> 26m and a 25m dish is stretching 'amateur' a bit again.

Googling for JT65 finds a nice paper:
  http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/techchar/18JT65.pdf
  The JT65 Communications Protocol
  Joe Taylor, K1JT

It's a fun read.  17 pages.

The basic idea seems to be that amateurs (hams) have to exchange station IDs.
 That's more than a few bits, but not a huge number.

JT65 is a compact protocol for doing that in a (very) weak signal
environment.  Their packet format is 72 bits expanded to 378 by forward error
correcting.  On top of that, they use half of the time for a synchronizing
signal so the receiver can find the transmitter's time and frequency.  Each
72 bit packet takes 1 minute to send.

Their modulation scheme is 1 of 65 tones.  6 bits per baud.  The extra tone
is the synchronizing signal.